About College of Visual Art
This Art and Cultural Institution established in the year 1993 for encouraging the students of various types in cultural activities, and was named Rhythm School of Art and Culture under the able guidance of Dr. Tapasi Dey along with other qualified experience teachers, the institution ran successfully and was thus registered and approved by government of West Bengal (under society registration act 1961). Over few years the activities of the institution have been greatly extended. As a result a degree college in the name of 'College of Visual Art' was established in 17th November 1999 and affiliated to Indira Kala Sangit Vishwavidyalaya, Khairagarh and Recognised by UGC. It was the only University in South East Asia for studying Art and Music and accord the B.F.A. degree of 4 years course.
The college was extended in 1999 as an Art Institution with an aim and propagation of art, and developing the individual creative abilities of the students, and also draws young artistic talents from Kolkata and other states thus offers ambience of creative interaction among the students and teachers.
Mainly in South Kolkata where there is no such Degree Art College also the view of limited accommodation at the others 3 degree art colleges. It would widen up the scope for students of other areas also.
The course of study in fine Arts has been designed scientifically and methodically in accordance with the course prescribed by the Vishwavidyalaya. The divine and modern form of artistic opportunity for becoming a true artist is one of the main objective of the college. There are enormous scope at the college to communicate and interact with the students coming from various multilingual state of the country. Apart from traditional historical form of art the student are taught keeping in line with modern rhetoric so that at large, after completing their course, they would be successful in professional life.
The mission of the college is to empower young students to face the challenges of life with courage and commitment, to be builders of a humane and a just society, and to promote a learning community in which all, especially those from less-privileged backgrounds, feel part of the collaborative high quality educational process which is value based and leads to holistic growth.
The vision of the college is to build a vibrant and inclusive learning community in a culture of excellence sustained by a sound value system that promotes responsible citizenship and effects social change.
Our Advisory Committee
- • Shri Pradip Moitra
- • Shri Atanu Bhattacharya
- • Shri Prasanta Daw
- • Shri Atin Basak
- • Academic Affiliation: Affiliated to Indira Kala Sangit Vishwavidyalaya, Khairagarh, Dist- Rajnandgaon, Chattisgarh
- • Established: November, 1999
- • Foundar: Prof. Dr. Tapasi Dey, M.A. Phd. Post Doctorial Researcher, University of London, Invited Scholar Courtauld Institute of Art, London, U.K
- • Principal: Prof. Dr. Tapasi Dey
- • Recognision of College of U.G.C: The College is granted u/s.2(f) & 12(B) status of the University Grants Commission
Awards and Scholarship
Our students achieved awards from State and National level.
- • Sri M.A Mallick - Junior National Scholarship 2005-2007
- • Sri Susanta Dey - Junior National Scholarship 2009-2011
- • Smt. Shyamasree Das Adhikary – Ghari Scholarship from Lalit Kala Academy 2008
- • Sri Tanmoy Hazra – 72 Academy Award , special award by Sri Sunil Das January 2008
- • Sri Joy Dey – President A.P.J Abdul Kalam, appreciation for the portrait of his Excellency
- • Inter College Art competition organised by St. Xavier College, Sri Ashok Dey, Amal Biswas and Rajiv Deyashi, Gurudev Das Mondal
- • Late Shyamal Dutta Roy First Memorial Award 2006, Awarded to Sri Sandip Roy
- • Avantika 2003 – Sri Ashok Kumar Dey
- • Avantika 2003 – Sri Rajiv Deyashi
- • Avantika 2007 – Sri Rajiv Deyashi
- • State Academy Award 2001 – Aninda Jashu, S.N. Bera 2008
- • Indian Society of Oriental Art, Annual Award 2003,2004
- • Camlin Art Contest Award 2004, 2005, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- • Indian Cultural Award 2019 – Pinaki Ranjan Bera
- • Award Certificate for Drawing from All India Fine Arts & Crafts Society, New Delhi, Bibek Kumar Barat 2018
Our Few Almuni
- • Sri Rajiv Deyashi
- • Pinaki Ranjan Bera
- • Umesh Jana
- • Sri Sandip Roy
- • Sri Ashok Kumar Dey
- • Sri M.A Mallick
- • Sri Umesh Jana
- • Sri Bibek Kumar Barat
- • Smt. Priti Roy